Spilling super glue on metal feels like a disaster! But once you’ve learned how to remove super glue from metal, you’ll never have to worry about it again. Our guide takes you through what you need, and how to remove super glue from any metal surface.
What do I need to get super glue off metal?
Don’t let the sight of drying super glue on metal make you break out in a cold sweat. Chances are, you already have everything you need for a safe glue removal in your home.
- acetone or nail polish remover
- cotton balls or pads
- rubber gloves
- clean rag
- plastic scraper, putty knife or razor blade
- cleaning sponge
- clean, dry cloth
Clean, press, lift, wipe: How to remove super glue from metal
Unfortunately, accidents will happen every now and then, no matter how careful you are. Thankfully, even messy spillages have a remedy. To discover how to get super glue off metal easily, follow these simple steps:
- Clean. Clean and dry the area before beginning.
- Press. Using gloves, saturate a cotton ball, pad or cleaning rag with acetone or nail polish remover and press against the dried super glue for five to ten minutes, or until the glue starts to soften and become more malleable.
- Lift. Use the plastic scraper, putty knife or razor blade to gently lift the loosened glue from the metal, taking care not to scratch the surface.
- Wipe. When the unwanted glue yields, wipe the area and check for any residue. Repeat step 2 and 3 until the glue is gone.
- Dry. Once the glue is gone, use the cleaning sponge and warm soapy water to clean the metal surface. Wipe the area dry.
Wondering how to get super glue off metal without acetone? You can try using white vinegar as a substitute. However, vinegar doesn’t work as quickly as acetone. You may need to keep the cotton ball pressed against the hardened glue for up to an hour before it softens. Other alternatives include denatured alcohol and lighter fluid.
After removing the glue: Begin again with Loctite
Having mastered the art of how to remove super glue from metal, you can get back to that gluing job. Loctite Super Glue Ultra Liquid Control works fast and holds strong on a variety of porous and non-porous surfaces, including metal, wood, leather, ceramics, rubber and many hard plastics. Plus it's dishwasher safe, dries clear, eliminates the need for clamping and can withstand moisture, most chemicals and freezing temperatures.