How to remove super glue from a countertop: a guide to getting out of sticky situations. Read on to find out about the simplest way how to get pesky super glue off your countertops. Our guide will show you how.
If you’ve spilled Loctite Super Glue Gel on your countertops, you should move quickly to clean it up. Waiting until cure time has been reached can mean more work. Here’s how to get super glue off a counter before it’s had a chance to completely harden.
- Wet a paper towel or sponge with warm water
- Wipe away excess glue and dispose of the paper towel
If you’ve spilled a larger amount of super glue, here’s how to approach cleanup.
- Apply water to the super glue and allow it to cure
- Scrape glue away cured glue with a putty knife or other sharp object
Take special care with delicate surfaces, some damage could occur depending on the material of your countertops. Refer to care instructions for countertops before scraping with sharp objects.
If the glue has already cured, follow these simple steps.
- Scrape away excess glue with a putty knife or other sharp object. Take care not to damage countertops by scraping the glue, not the counter
- Soak the remaining glue with a towel and warm water to soften the grip
- Scrub the glue with a sponge and warm soapy water. Use the abrasive side of the sponge for best results
Glue guy here to explain how to remove super glue from any object.
How to remove super glue from any object
If soap and water don’t do the trick, acetone is the next step. A simple bottle of acetone-based nail polish remover and a cotton ball will suffice. Here’s how to do it…
- Dip a Q-tip or cotton ball into the acetone
- Rub in small circular motions on the glue until it loosens. Try to keep it on the glue, and not on the countertop.
- Scrape away super glue with a knife
Acetone is safe for any kitchen countertops whether they are made of laminate, marble, corian, quartz, or granite. Test the acetone on an unseen part of the surface first, to make sure it won’t discolor the area. Some surfaces, like finished granite, will require you to repair the finish after removing the glue.
Of course, the best way to avoid super glue damage is by not making a mess in the first place. Loctite super glues come with a variety of custom cap designs to help with precise, controlled, and mess free application.