Super glue liquid is a handy and versatile tool to have around the house. Learn the many uses for super glue, application techniques, and which Loctite liquid is best for the job.
Super glue is a powerful and versatile adhesive. It’s fast drying, and is able to bind to a variety of different surfaces. Its strong rigid bond makes it the perfect go-to for a number of household repairs. Here are some examples of how you can use super glue to conquer some basic repairs around the house.
Liquid super glue is perfect for:
- Acrylic (or other hard plastics or rubber)
- Car parts – windshield wipers, mirrors, O rings, rubber seals, etc.
- Ornaments and decorations
Specialty super glue liquids
Traditionally, super glue came in a messy tube, formed a rigid bond, and was limited in the type of hold it could achieve. Thanks to advances in technology, the sky’s the limit when it comes to the functionality of today’s super glues.
There are many specialized formulas that cover a wide range of uses. Some have a flexible grip, and are gap filling. There are super glues that are water-resistant and dishwasher safe, and others are time-controlled and allow for precise alignment.
The formulas aren’t the only things that have changed. Delivery systems have also seen improvements. A number of Loctite super glues come with side squeeze technology, allowing for a precise and mess-free application.
Repair techniques vary depending on the surfaces you’re gluing. Here’s the basics on repairing with super glue:
- Clean the areas you’re gluing.
- Using 180 grit sandpaper, lightly roughen up the surfaces to increase adhesion power.
- Clean the area, making sure all residue has been removed.
- Remove the applicator cap and seal from the bottle.
- Test the glue on a disposable paper to make sure the glue is being dispensed correctly.
- Apply glue to one surface you’re gluing.
- Connect the surfaces to the glue bead and hold in place for 30 seconds, or as indicated on the packaging.
- Tightly secure the lid back on the super glue and store upright in a cool place.
- Set glued piece aside, and allow for full cure time to be achieved before using the object.
- Apply heat to surfaces using a blow dryer to accelerate cure time.
Check out how easy it is to fix that old sprinkler using Loctite super glue.
When choosing a super glue, it’s important to consider the material you’re gluing. For a durable hold on a wide range of surfaces, Loctite Super Glue Ultra Liquid Control is your match. It’s weather-resistant and dishwasher safe. This makes it uniquely suited for dishes. It dries clear, and sets in seconds without the need for clamping.
For more professional jobs where you need a precise hold, turn to Loctite Super Glue Liquid Professional. Its triple strength formula makes it ideal for a number of tough holds, but especially perfect for metal car parts. It works on both porous and non-porous surfaces, and contains a patented additive that allows adhesion to more surfaces than any other super glue on the market.