Take a look at Loctite’s simple wooden craft ideas to create the kind of interior decoration that will add an individual touch to any room in your home.
When it comes to craft ideas to enhance your home, wood really is the all-star of materials to choose from. It can be cut, shaped, treated and upcycled to create a multitude of different decorations or functional pieces for every room.
Better yet, it doesn’t matter if you’re a total beginner or experienced DIYer – there’s a project for all skill levels. With just a few basic tools and the right glue, you can produce fantastic wooden handicrafts that’ll impress family and friends alike.
An easy wood crafts idea for adults that produces a wonderful shelf utilizes one of the most basic craft supplies available – the popsicle stick. You can buy a pack from a craft store.
- Stencil. Measure the length of one popsicle stick, then on a sheet of paper use that measurement to draw a hexagon.
- Glue. Lay three popsicle sticks down on the sides of the hexagon stencil, with a gap of one side between each one, and apply a dab of glue to the ends of each stick. Lay three more sticks on top from end to end to form a hexagon shape.
- Layer. Repeat this process to build up several layers of sticks. You can make it as deep as you want, but ideal you want at least eight to ten hexagonal stick layers for it to function as a shelf.
- Stain. When the glue has fully dried, stain your hexagonal shelf to give it a fashionable vintage look. When the wood stain has dried, you can glue a picture hanger to the back of the shelf.
Nothing signals that the holiday season’s here more than a festively decorated tree. With an old shipping pallet, you can combine wooden handicrafts with upcycling skills to create exactly that.
- Sand. To smooth the wooden surfaces of your shipping pallet and create a nicer finish, sand them down with sandpaper or an electric sander. Brush off any wood dust after you’ve finished.
- Stain. To give the pallet a more refined and vintage look, use a darker wood stain and brush to stain it all over.
- Paint. Once the stain has dried, paint the green branches of your tree on all but the bottom outer slat of the pallet. The inner center support slat should be vertical to represent the trunk of your tree.
- Decorate. When the paint has dried, use a spray adhesive to decorate the tree with your choice of decorations. To make it more three-dimensional, a great option are different colored fabric pom poms, to represent baubles, with a larger yellow pom pom at the top to represent a star.
Loctite Spray Adhesive General Performance offers superior bonding strength for lightweight materials such as fabric, foam and cardboard, making it ideal for this project. It works on a variety of porous and nonporous substrates, dries clear and does not yellow with age and will not cause bleed through, wrinkling or curling.
If you want to take your handmade wooden crafts ideas to the next level, a framed wooden chalkboard is one of the most versatile and fun accessories for any home or business, and can be made as large or small as you want.
- Cut. Measure and cut a piece of fiberboard to your desired size (square or rectangular). Think about what you want to use the chalkboard for and where it will be placed.
- Paint. Paint your fiberboard with a layer of chalkboard paint. Wait for it to dry, then add another layer of the paint.
- Frame. Cut four lengths of casing molding that match the dimensions of your fiberboard to form the frame. Cut a 45-degree angle at the end of each so that they fit together.
- Paint. To give your wooden chalkboard frame a touch of class, paint it with a gold, silver or bronze metallic-colored paint.
- Glue. Apply a bead of wood glue to the back of each length of casing molding and glue them to the outer edges of the fiberboard to frame it.
- Press the single casing moldings firmly together. Please be aware that it’s only possible to adjust positioning before the glue is cured. Curing times can range from a few seconds to several hours, so make sure to check the product instructions before gluing.
Specifically formulated to provide a strong, durable bond to multiple surfaces, including treated wood, Loctite PL Wood Lumber, Paneling & Trim Adhesive is a great choice for wooden craft ideas. With no strong solvent odor, it is ideal for indoor projects.